The Brain Injury Association of Massachusetts is hosting its 4th Caregiver Conference on Saturday November 2nd at The Canal Club, Trowbridge Tavern, 100 Trowbridge Road in Bourne, Mass. Boston Medical Center HealthNet Plan is the Headliner sponsor for the event and exhibitors from several organizations will be available with a variety of services geared toward the caregiver.
This conference is the only conference just for caregivers–designed to give support, advice and practical information to caregivers facing the many challenges of meeting the needs of those with brain injury. BIA-MA’s first Caregiver Conference, held on Cape Cod by BIA-MA’s Southeastern Regional office, was the inspiration of Donna Edson, mother of Robert Jordan, a survivor of brain injury who passed away in January 2008. Without the generous donations in Robert Jordan’s memory, the first conference would not have been possible. Since its inception, the conference has more than tripled the number of participants, attracting families and caregivers from across Massachusetts.
From 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., conference attendees will learn about survivor care and services, caregiver care and services as well as managing unwanted behavior. Here is our list of esteemed speakers:
Managing Unwanted Behavior
- Tom Hall, Associate Division Director for Clinical Services at Riverside Community Care, has worked for more than 25 years with individuals recovering from brain injury. He is a Certified Brain Injury Specialist Trainer (CBIST).
Brain Injury Survivor Care and Services
- Kenneth J. Smith, Director, Office of Long Term Services and Supports, Executive Office of Elder Affairs and MassHealth, Executive Office of Health and Human Services
- Myles Marisseau, Information and Resources Senior Operations Manager, Brain Injury Association of Massachusetts
- Marilyn P. Spivack, Founder, Brain Injury Association of America, parent of a brain injury survivor, and the mother of brain injury advocacy
- Matt Dorian, Research Fellow, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, TBI Model Systems
- Juliane Soprano, Attorney, The Law Offices of Juliane Soprano. Juliane specializes in Worker’s Compensation and Social Security Disability Representation. She was named one of Best Lawyers® for the past four years.
- Robert Ferris, Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission and the Brain Injury & Statewide Specialized Community Services (formerly SHIP)
Caregiver Care and Services
- Marie Bantram, Owner, All 4 Healing Wellness Center, Sagamore Beach
- Adam Liss, Owner, Cape Stress Reduction & Optimal Health, Marstons Mills
Breakfast will be provided from the generous sponsorship of Fairlawn Rehabilitation Hospital in Worcester. Lunch will also be provided. If you need special accommodations, please submit them no later than October 15th. You can indicate this on the registration form.
If you are a caregiver and you would like to attend the conference, it is $10 for one person, $20 for two people, and $25 for 3 or more (family). Click here to get all the details. If you’ve learned all you need to know and want to register right away, click here and submit your online registration form. The registration deadline is October 29th. If you are a caregiver for a brain injury survivor, this conference is just for you, and you will finish the day with relaxation and stress relief. Take advantage of a conference designed just for you.