#BrainInjuryAffects Scott Doane

Although the official Brain Injury Awareness Month is over, our advocacy and awareness efforts are not. Our social media and advocacy #BrainInjuryAffects campaign has been so successful that we have decided to continue it. Through the campaign, we have spoken to and met so many incredible survivors, family members, caregivers and brain injury professionals and have been able to share their stories on Facebook, Twitter, this blog and our website. We hope you’ll continue to share your stories with us! Today, we’re sharing brain injury survivor Scott Doane’s story.  


It was 1967 and Scott Doane was just seven years old, riding with his father and sister in their station wagon when their vehicle got broadsided by an 18-wheeler whose brakes gave out.

“My sister saw the whole thing,” Scott explains. A bystander, who turned out to be a marine and EMT, ran over to help. Scott’s sister was screaming “Where’s Scott?” which made those helping at the accident scene look for him. They saw tufts of Scott’s hair behind the front seat where he was pinned.

“The marine saw that I was unresponsive and choking on my tongue. He began to give me mouth to mouth and saved my life,” he says.

Scott, his sister and father were taken to the local hospital. His sister received 20 stitches and his father had a collapsed lung and broken ribs. Scott needed more care so he was taken to Columbus Children’s Hospital in Ohio where doctors discovered he had a significant frontal lobe brain injury and his right side was paralyzed. To keep the brain swelling down, doctors gave him penicillin and put icepacks all around him. Scott was in a coma for three weeks and was not expected to survive. Despite the doctors’ beliefs, he did.

After three months, he was finally released from the hospital. He was paralyzed on his right side and spent six months in a wheelchair. Scott was given no formal rehabilitation for his brain injury other than regular checkups and working with his parents at home. Their family moved out of Ohio and after that, there was no follow up on his brain injury, leaving Scott with many questions.

Just three years ago, Scott found himself still desperate for answers about the accident and his brain injury, so he asked his father to give him his medical records so he could find out more. He went to get a baseline MRI, started seeing doctors and getting tests done to find out more about the extent of his injury.

Continue reading Scott’s story.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s